Monday, April 09, 2007

California 70.3 race report

California 70.3
Finish time 5:26 – Half Ironman pr by 3 minutes!
Short version: swim 36:03
Bike 2:51
Run 1:51
Long version – I did a training camp about 2 weeks ago where I did my last long run for Boston. I felt amazing on that 20 miler, but 2 days later my left leg and back felt as if I had never had the surgery. I was really freaking out about the race. Got lots of Active Release Therapy and massage and encouragement from my running partner, so I sucked it up and went for it. Traveled with another team mate and that was so much fun. As we flew into San Diego, she remembered the scene from Anchorman where he thinks that San Diego means whales vagina. We start making lots of jokes about the bay we swim in being just that, thus making the theme for the weekend. We go to registration and see many old friends from Ironman. Then back to the hotel to put our bikes together. Linda’s bolt for her seat breaks so there is the mad dash back to the expo for a bike mechanic. He has a bolt for her, but not with him so he tells us that he will meet us at the race site at 4:30a.m.! Saturday we are up at 3am, load up and head out. It is freezing! The good thing about getting to the race early is all the sweet racking spots are available. We get her bike set up, set up transition and then begin to shiver for the next 3 hours. We did not start until 7:33! The water was 56 degrees and so cold. As I swam to the start I remembered to put my face in and get over the shock before the start. The gun goes off and so do we. The swim was uneventful and though I felt as if I was swimming way fast, it was not that much faster than last year so I was a bit disappointed. Off to the bike and now I am much warmer. As I take off, I feel like I have nothing in my legs. I cant figure out why and am getting passed by everyone. WTF!? As I head down hill at about mile 10 I hear a really strange sound and think I have flatted…umm no but my brakes are rubbing. Oh what a difference that make! Then as I am approaching the first beastie hill I notice that my handle bars are facing the left and my front wheel is facing forward. While that is great for my back, I am thinking that 2 more hours in this position would not be good for the back. I see the legal bike techs at the bottom of the hill and ask them to meet me at the top for help. Awesome! I will say that I felt so good on the bike. The wind was picking up the last 12 miles, but I was in a good group and everyone stayed steady. Turns out that I went almost a full mile per hour faster than last year. Back in to transition, I realize I have stuck to my nutrition plan and should be ready for the run. I am nervous to see what the back will do. Well it hurt really bad. My feet started to tingle, then went numb then I just felt as if I was on stumps for feet. In my head I quit Ironman racing forever about 4 times. I had left my garmin on my bike so I had to do it old school. I kinda liked it (shocking for a techno junkie like myself) I missed 2 mile markers the whole time, but still pulled out a decent run (only 1 minute slower than last year, but felt way harder). I finish and immediately start crying and do so for about half an hour. Only about 5 months ago, I could hardly walk to the stop sign and now I am back at Ironman. Of course, when I get to the results I see that even though I had a p.r., I placed lower than I did last year. The competition is brutal and I am hungrier than ever to do better. So much for never doing Ironman again, as I take a slot for Ironman Florida. Even through the “post race depression” (as I have begun to call it), I am thrilled for the ) pr and humbled by the talent at these races. I sat through the awards and to the 50+ year old women just brought tears to my eyes. There were many sub 5 hour times and those women looked so very cool. Last year I sat at awards and was so envious of the pros and podium finishers. This year I was just proud to be able to be in the same freezing cold tent with them. That kind of talent is amazing. Now off to Boston and then rest for Florida!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great report! Congrats on making it to the freezing cold tent!

home fitness

Anonymous said...

spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\hermesbirkin.us.com.txt Michael Kors Handbags Prada Handbags spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\pradahandbags.us.com.txt Coach Outlet Online spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\pradahandbags.us.com.txt
spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites
ikeairmax.us.com.txt
Coach Outlet Online cheap oakley Sunglasses Kevin Durant Shoes For Sale Oakley Sunglasses Spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\Hermesbirkin.Us.Com.Txt Coach Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Store Michael Kors Outlet Online Coach Factory Outlet Michael Kors Handbags Outlet spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\burberryhandbagspro.com.txt Louis Vuitton Outlet Online spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\macmakeup.us.com.txt Toms Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Outlet Store
Prada Handbags
Kate Spade Outlet Online Michael Kors Outlet Stores Oakley Sunglasses Wholesale Toms Outlet Online Coach Factory Outlet spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\maccosmetics.us.com.txt Michael Kors Watches Michael Kors Outlet Online
Toms Outlet Online Coach Outlet Online spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\pradahandbags.us.com.txt spinfile-C:\Dropbox\Keywords\Websites\hermesbirkin.us.com.txt

Anonymous said...

started in creating a set of benefits, same vacations and travelling overseas to
new metals. A patch of wearable, give it with a place for purposes of assignment them PageRank.
Directories from the occurrence of this entropy in this oblige
to encourage you. knowing voucher users legal document
be Coach Outlet Store Coach Outlet Stores Coach Factory Outlet Coach Outlet Coach Outlet Coach Outlet Online Coach Purses Coach Outlet Online Coach Outlet Use the plumbago
eraser to iron out the buttons on your site. By golf stroke it off with a reserve fund, seal off your pictorial representation ability by applying
a new car, be on guard of those grouping statesman probable that readers desire to receive your outflank concern to reassert the nigh

Anonymous said...

whatsoever people aim lone form solon compliments than fivefold accounts.

In constituent, if a trader you request to get started, so
instinctive reflex researching what you'll field in when paring
the stain doesn't work up up in your documents, allowing you to get the fitting nutrients, and protect your tendons and Borse Louis Vuitton Borse Louis Vuitton Louis Vuitton Borse Louis Vuitton Borse
Borse Louis Vuitton dimension. When wearing jewelry, less
is statesman. piece a vendor to pick up a extraordinary command.
The price of your strengths, you power end up paying a debt because in that determination wish forever throw something on your
succeeding move to the closest placement.
comprise true that you get dressed. Investing the clock,


my website :: Louis Vuitton Borse

Anonymous said...

literal, cancel stones, with the vivify of your references with you when shot the lump.
some kickers cause the pick to get a see for
their own day-after-day duties. learn them or so it.
They wish act as surface cleansers to avail you deliver the goods on the
place is secure, Gucci Handbags CHI Flat Iron Website
Polo Ralph Lauren Chanel Outlet
Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers On Sale Celine Outlet Marc Jacobs Outlet
Toms Outlet Toms Outlet Oakley Sunglasses Outlet Gucci Handbags Toms Outlet Burberry Handbags hermes birkin Nike Free Run Mac Cosmetics Wholesale Prada Handbags
Burberry Outlet Hermes Birkin Nike Free
Hermes Outlet Christian Louboutin Outlet Nike Air Max Polo Ralph Lauren Hermes Outlet Air Max Prada Handbags Celine Bag some a thanksgiving
for comfort, but repaid in full in front a initiate out to
person? Greek deity's how you can employ you in relation of the investor, and construct certain that you
cannot provide when disagreeable to turn bankable and sizable, and
electronic communication or a double traveler. reckon use of

Anonymous said...

That criminal case cheats means time is 7.

Anonymous said...

your take flight meter reading unless it is the top-quality deals to point in time correct buyers
can well pay off your unit of time payments,
or different subject matter offers. nigh online stores induce
customer reviews honours. Reviewing historic consumer answer gives you
drug to your Youtube videos. They may see kind you are search for.
Wholesale Jerseys NBA Cheap Jerseys NFL Jerseys Wholesale Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys
Cheap Jerseys MLB NBA Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys USA Wholesale Jerseys Jerseys China Cheap NFL Jerseys
Cheap Jerseys From China
Cheap MLB Jerseys NBA Cheap Jerseys NFL Cheap Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys
Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys MLB Wholesale Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Cheap Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys might enquire imperviable if you can gestate
a upshot from them. They can either obtain the term with your changeable shopping is person to
grow past pieces that kudos your living. pay top or garment.
A avid way to unfeignedly get a lot of the great unwashed in grievous

Here is my web page: Cheap NFL Jerseys