Sunday, December 31, 2006

Daring

So I get released, start training, get my first 4 mile run in and then fate hits. I come down with Pneumonia. Full blown massive fever, chest pain, vomiting, coughing and dizziness. I lay in the clinic getting the bad news, antibiotic shot and a head full of "what now's". So I am couched, again! With nothing else to do to distract myself from the pain of a herd of elephants that have taken up residency on my chest, but watch movies I have had some interesting thoughts.

I have watched a plethora of movies like Rudy and St. Ralph that portray the message of "Dare to Dream". I began to think of what it means to "dare". Dreaming seems to be easy, but why are great things referred to as "dare to dream"? The definition of dare is "make bold: take upon oneself; act presumptuously, without permission". Now thing start to make sense. Big goals typically are bold and in order to even think it possible there must be some presumption and usually without evidence that would lead to success.

What strikes me as the real lesson is that the success is in the "daring'. It is in the willingness to see beyond what the evidence would insure. The lesson for me is in that the victory is in the dreaming, it is in taking the steps towards the dream. It is in staying committed to the process of the dream. That is the expressway to the soul; the toll is presumptuously staying on the path even without permission from evidence of the final destination. This is the road I choose...even while on the couch. Now I train the brain and the body will follow when it can.

5 comments:

:) said...

Get better soon, Dawn!!!

dawnelder said...

Hey thanks flatman. You keep movin though - k?
By the way, checked out your blog. Love it,

Jay said...

Hi Dawn,

I'm a runner, RD, etc. etc. person from Austin. I'm not a blogger (yet), but I have been surfing the running sites quite a bit. Truthfully, the basic reason why is because I've been looking for who I could/should market a big race that I am putting on. HOWEVER, I have to say that during my month or so of exploring the internet, I have been amazed with all of the inspiring stuff! It's been a real pleasure to find these stories that I wouldn't have otherwise known about.

I REALLY liked the way you articulated the following: "The lesson for me is in that the victory is in the dreaming, it is in taking the steps towards the dream. It is in staying committed to the process of the dream. That is the expressway to the soul; the toll is presumptuously staying on the path even without permission from evidence of the final destination. This is the road I choose...even while on the couch. Now I train the brain and the body will follow when it can." THAT encapsulates of the true joys of running (IMO). I've run pretty hard for several years and when I look back, it is the journey (without permission from evidence of the final destination (love that)) and the relationships made that are truly rewarding.

I'm going to give you the website of my race because I would love to have many like you in it. But, I really hope you do not see it as shameless promoting. For many events, I could see how this could be the case, but this time I feel it is more of one runner finding another and letting them know of something they are working on (that runners will appreciate).

www.TexasIndependenceRelay.com

Jay Hilscher

dawnelder said...

Hi Jay,
Thanks for the info and I am glad that what I wrote made sense to you. I will forward the site on to my coach and see what comes of it. Good luck on the race, sounds fu.

Jay said...

Of course it made sense! I've basically written something very similar, though not expressed as well. Thanks for forwarding onto your coach!

All the best in running and otherwise! Keep going for it and don't let the doctor "experts" get you down. I've had that experience before, too (smile)... sometimes they're helpful... and other times, not so much. You've gotten me looking forward to when I put a real effort in seeing what I can do... Thanks!! - j